Welcome to the New Testament
This book is an invitation to read the 27 documents that make up the library we call ‘the New Testament’. They come in different shapes and sizes; there are the five (yes, five) narratives that we call ‘gospels’. And there are other documents that we call ‘letters’, though not many of them are the kind of thing you might receive in today’s post.
All of them have something to do with, indeed each of them sheds a different light on, the remarkable person whom we call Jesus of Nazareth, who was put to death because the political authorities could not cope with him, and whom God raised from that appalling death.
This book will tell you how the New Testament works, and how it could change your life.
||Pictures Of The Early Church
||This book is an invitation to read the 27 documents that make up the library we call ‘the New Testament’. They come in different shapes and sizes; there are the five (yes, five) narratives that we call ‘gospels’. And there are other documents that we call ‘letters’, though not many of them are the kind of thing you might receive in today’s post.
||13 May 2016
||Approx. 3 weeks (if out of stock)
||232mm x 169mm
1. Starting with Paul (because he came first): the letter to the Galatians
2. Paul’s earliest letter and his shortest: 1 Thessalonians and Philemon
3. Romans: an attempt to be diplomatic
4. 1 Corinthians: dealing with a divided church
5. 2 Corinthians and Philippians: rather different challenges
6. The disputed Pauline letters
7. The pastoral letters
8. Mark: the inventor of the Gospel form
9. The Marcan sandwich
10. Mark’s Passion story
11. Questions and counter-questions in Mark
12. Matthew: something of a schoolmaster?
13. Matthew’s beginning and ending 91
14. Matthew and the Church
15. Is Matthew’s Gospel anti-Jewish?
16. Luke: the supreme artist
17. The Lucan journey
18. Luke: The Gospel of the Holy Spirit, of prayer and of joy
19. Luke and Judaism
20. John’s Gospel: the prologue, and ‘trying on hats’
21. John’s Gospel: who is Jesus?
22. John’s Gospel: the Passion Narrative
23. The Resurrection in John’s Gospel
24. The first, second and third letters of John
25. Hebrews: a great theologian talks about Jesus
26. The first and second letters of Peter
27. The letter of James: sharp social satire?
28. Acts of the Apostles: the Gospel of the Holy Spirit
29. Acts part 2: the word spreads to the Gentiles
30. Acts part 3: ‘To the ends of the earth’
31. The Book of Revelation: introduction
32. Revelation part 2
33. Who needs the Old Testament?
34. What about inspiration, then?
35. Did the Resurrection really happen?